Warning issued to public after fire crews called out to 100m long hedge fire near Measham on Saturday evening

By The Editor

8th Aug 2022 | Local News

Photo: Swadlincote Fire Crew
Photo: Swadlincote Fire Crew

Fire crews were called to a 100 metre long hedge fire near Measham on Saturday evening.

The cause of the blaze is believed to have been from a discarded glass or cigarettes.

Swadlincote and Castle Donington firefighters attended the fire on farmland.

They followed the incident up with a warning to be careful with their rubbish ahead of more hot weather being forecast this week.

Swadlincote fire crew posted details on social media and said: "Tonight Swadlincote fire were called out to a hedge fire adjacent to farmers' fields on a footpath near Measham. 

"The origin was found to be possibly a discarded cigarette or glass. 

"The fire was over 100metres long and spread due to the very dry ground conditions. 

"Please be careful disposing of smoking materials & take rubbish home with you!

"We were supported by our colleagues from Castle Donington, always a pleasure working with you."

Share:

Related Articles

Photos: Ashby de la Zouch Town Council
Local News

Big numbers flocked to Ashby Statutes despite the annual event being delayed by a week, says Town Council

Ashby Library will host one of the Information Days. Photo: Instantstreetview.com
Local News

Two 'Information Cafes' will be held in Ashby to help residents get through the cost of living crisis

Nub News Logo

Sign-up to the Ashby Nub News weekly newsletter

Subscribe now for weekly updates of local news and sport from your town. Plus what's on near where you live - and local homes for sale. All delivered straight to your in-box, every Friday.

We won't pass your details on to anyone else. By clicking the sign-up button you agree to our Privacy Policy.